New York City Employment Discrimination Lawyer
We’d like to think that we live in a time where individuals will no longer face discrimination in the workplace for things they can’t control or change, such as their race, gender, or sexual orientation. Unfortunately, though we’ve made significant progress in this respect over the years, many employees are still subjected to workplace discrimination. If you believe you’ve been discriminated against, contact a New York City employment discrimination lawyer from Mirza Law for assistance.
Employment Discrimination Lawyer | Proudly Representing NYC Employees
As you can imagine, accusing an employer of discrimination can significantly tarnish their reputation and business, which is why employers will frequently hire aggressive legal counsel to combat such claims. This is why you must do the same. By hiring a New York employment lawyer from Mirza Law, you drastically increase your chances of winning your discrimination claim.
What is Employment Discrimination?
Anytime an employer discriminates against an employee because of a protected characteristic, such as their race or gender, the employee may have a valid discrimination claim. Discrimination can come in many forms, including pay decreases, termination, or otherwise made to feel uncomfortable or intimidated solely because of a protected characteristic. Fortunately, if you are an employee who has been discriminated against, you are protected under both Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the New York City Human Rights Law.
Types of Discrimination
- Race Discrimination: Being discriminated against due to your race is absolutely unacceptable. If this has happened to you, Mirza Law is prepared to fight for the legal recourse you need.
- Gender Discrimination: Unfortunately, we live in a time where some people are still discriminated against in the workplace due to their gender, such as by being paid a lower salary for doing the same job as the opposite gender. This is unlawful, but we are on your side.
- Color Discrimination: Though we’d like to think that we’ve moved past a time where people are discriminated against solely because of the color of their skin, this isn’t the case. People do face discrimination because of their skin color/race, and if you’re one of them, you can turn to Mirza Law for help.
- Age Discrimination: Ageism is absolutely a real thing, and it can have very real implications for those made victims of it. Not only is it degrading, but it can also put a person’s livelihood in jeopardy.
- Pregnancy Discrimination: If you were discriminated against due to your pregnancy, you can turn to our New York City employment discrimination lawyer to help rectify the situation.
- National Origin Discrimination: National origin discrimination is when an employer discriminated against an employee due to where he or she is from or appears to be from.
- Disability Discrimination: Those with disabilities are protected from discrimination both under the federal Americans With Disabilities Act and the New York City Human Rights Law. If you believe your rights have been violated and you’ve been discriminated against due to your disability, our firm is here to help.
- Genetic Information Discrimination: Employers are prohibited from discriminating against employees or prospective employees because of their genetic information under the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. If you believe you were fired, demoted, or denied an employment opportunity solely because of your genetic information or that of a family member, you may have a valid discrimination claim.
If you’ve faced any of the aforementioned instances of discrimination in the workplace, speak with a knowledgeable employee rights lawyer from our legal team.
Time Limits on Discrimination Claims in New York City
We understand that an incident, or incidents, of harassment or discrimination, can leave a person feeling befuddled and unsure of where to turn. However, you should understand that it is always best to take action sooner, rather than later. In New York City, under the New York City Human Rights Law, you will have one year from the date the discriminatory incident occurred to file your discrimination claim with the NYC Commission of Human Rights(“CHR”). However, if your discrimination claim is based on gender-based harassment, you will have three years to file your claim with CHR. That said, if you opt to file a lawsuit in a NY court, you will have three years from the date the discriminatory act occurred. We understand you are going through difficult situations and our compassionate employment discrimination attorneys are prepared to assist you today. All you need to do is pick up the phone, give us a call, and tell us your story.
Contact an NYC Employment Discrimination Lawyer
We believe that victims of discrimination in the workplace have a right to legal recourse, and we are here to provide that recourse. Mirza Law is a staunch defender of all those who’ve been made victims of employment discrimination, and we are here to fight for you as well. Contact us today so we can get started working on your case.